We will see 9 aromatherapy trends that will be huge in 2021. As you already know, aromatherapy is a fast and furious growing industry. It is said to be a 4.3 billion market by 2023 (source). I remember in by business goals and dreams for 2003, I listed that I would like aromatherapy to be a household name. I would have never imagined its explosion to this magnitude. Aromatherapy is not only a household name, it is a staple in every home. There are on average at least 6 aromatherapy products in a home, at any given time. From body and personal care products, to room spray and cleaning products. Aromatherapy is here to stay.
Aromatherapy in 2021
With the emergence of the aromatherapy industry, it is more important than ever to get properly educated in aromatherapy safety, quality and its benefits. It is a beautiful healing discipline that delivers enormous benefits. However, when used incorrectly, it can cause some major issues and damage. For example, there is a higher incidence of kidney & liver distress among 20-30’s year-old women, as well as burned and irritated esophagus and intestinal membranes due to improper undiluted internal use.
The misuse of essential oils is causing a great debate among more highly-trained, senior aromatherapist and the new emerging aromatherapy users. It is one thing to use essential oils, but to employ it into a practice or business of supporting health issues, requires proper training to use this therapy or discipline more responsibly. When you employ aromatherapy correctly, it will deliver support and relief.
9 Aromatherapy Trends that will be huge in 2021
With that said, we will see several trends steering the industry in the direction of more research, medical and holistic integrative therapies and multi-level marketing users. Nonetheless, with proper education, quality essential oils from sustainable sources and a passion to aromatherapy responsibly
- Essential Oil blends versus individual oils: Drawers filled with essential oils that are either unopened, or sitting in there for years are over. I am a custom essential oil formulator and more companies have hired me to create unique, proprietary blends, versus using single oils. Of course, single essential oils are needed if you want to put together special diffuser blends, get aromatherapy certification training, or keep your favorite ones on hand. But having a drawer of 20-40 oils for personal care use can be overwhelming. Having a blend that includes everything you need, pre-figured out and formulated correctly (a done for you essential oil blend), is saving stress, time and money.
- Custom Blending: More people are seeking custom blends that are specific to their own needs, rather than a universal purpose. Of course, if you need calming, a Calm essential oil blend is great, as long as you like the smell. But having a personalized custom blend that integrates various modalities to assess your exact needs, is so much more beneficial. Especially when you don’t have to research and figure it all out on your own.
- Scheduled Daily Self-care: Before, people thought of self-care as a luxury. These days, people realize more than ever the importance of self-care. You have to take care of your own needs, mentally, emotionally and physically, if you plan to keep helping others, go to work, spend quality time with family, travel and to just feel good. There will be an increase in people seeking holistic health modalities such as self-care health coaches, clinical aromatherapists, herbalists, dietitians, massage therapy and acupuncture.
- Essential Oil Sustainability & Conservation: You will see more information and research conducted on botanical species. Due to overharvesting and some mediocre farming practices, some species are endangered such as agarwood, rosewood and sandalwood. There will be greater emphasis on preserving essential oils and their material through using aromatherapy responsibly. This translates in how much you use in a blend. You don’t need 20 drops in 4 ounce bath salt if you are using a pure, high-quality essential oil. 5-10 drops would produce a nice scent. Also, how much you buy. If you will not use up 1 ounce (30 mL) of essential oil within 3-6 months, then buy a smaller quantity like a 15 mL. A good source to follow is Dr. Kelly Ablard of the Airmid Institute.
- Essential Oil for Personality & Constitutional Types: There will be more research and education on implementing aromatherapy with specific personality and constitutional types, to enhance a stronger mindset, inspire courage, balance emotions, and reduce unhealthy reactions. The JennScents Aromaversity touches upon this in each certification course, as well as an entire course on this to be published in 2021.
- Essential Oil & Psychology Research: PubMed.gov is a great source to keep abreast of all the latest research being conducted in a certain field and/or topic. Especially after a daunting and psychological firestorm in 2020, the mental and emotional state of the world has certainly changed. We all had to learn to pivot and shift as best as we could. Some had more difficulty than others. Suicide, anxiety and depression rates soared. As a result, more studies are being conducted on psychological behaviors pre-, during, and post-pandemic, as well as how people thrived, survived or crumbled. What impact it can have on cognitive functions. Aromatherapy will prove to be a huge asset in the fight against mental health imbalances.
- Essential Oil Research for Immune Health: Of course, with the 2020 pandemic, immune health is top of everyone’s list. Certain essential oils have already been researched and tested against many immune diseases. We will see a greater push for continued research on how botanical medicine can help strengthen immunity as a preventative and reactive measure.
- Integrating Aromatherapy into business & health coaching practices: More health coaches are seeking an aromatherapy certification to add to their credential of services they offer their clients. Increased and enhanced services will provide a deeper, more meaningful experience and results that stay. It will also increase a more pleasurable and memorable experience with that coach. Science shows us when scent is coupled with an experience, it strengthens the memory of it, giving it a stronger feeling with attachment and quicker memory recall.
- Aromatherapy Technology: Diffusers have advanced greatly in the last 10 years. They make some now that holds the actual essential oil bottle and disperse it into the water based on certain settings. Necklace diffusers will be very popular this year as people want to have consistent immune support with their essential oils. Especially when traveling, shopping and being around EMF’s frequently. There will be more gadgets that have scent pads included to create a multi-sensory “scent-experience”.