Allergies…are so annoying, right. Physically, people can experience allergies to plants, pollen, chemicals and pets. Nutritionally, many people experience an “allergy” response when they eat certain foods or drink specific drinks. Emotionally, something or someone can be irritating us, or annoying us. They can be triggered by one, two or all three situations.
So why do we get allergies? Well first, let’s distinguish between two types of allergies. The first is what I call a “genetic allergy” or true allergy to a plant, food, pet, etc. They are born with it and any contact with that trigger, can cause major reaction such as anaphylactic shock, rash, breathing issues or more serious. The second I call “self-induced allergy”. This means that your gut has issues and the immune system cannot function optimally to combat the “foreign invaders” and a mucolytic or allergy response occurs. Remember, 80% of your immune system is in your gut. This is the place where we absorb and assimilate the nutrients, wring out the waste and excrete them. If there is any congestion, poor or empty nutrients, sluggish elimination and/or germ exposure, the gut can’t do it’s job, and triggers an inflammatory response. The response occurs when too many mast cells are released resulting in an allergic response. When you get your gut healthy (requires several tools), allergies dissipate.
When I was sick many years ago with severe Crohn’s, Colitis, leaky gut and IBS, I completed allergy testing. I was allergic to every single thing in the list except 7 things. That means that anytime I had any of those foods on the “allergic list”, I would have an inflammatory response. When I did allergy testing a couple years ago, I wasn’t allergic to anything. I was amazed.
So what can you do if you have an allergy experience? There are some essential oils that I keep in my arsenal of remedies along with a few important herbs.
- Frankincense – my #1 essential oil for any and all kinds of allergies. Diffuse a couple drops in an ultrasonic diffuser; add 20 drops to 2oz. liquid enzymes and spray around you as needed; 10 drops in a .33oz. carrier oil and put into a roll-on; add 5 drops to 4oz. Epsom or sea salt.
- Lavender – my “jack of all trades, master of all” oil. Great to calm any skin allergy (rash, hives, etc.), nasal congestion, sneezing, water or itchy eyes (just smell it) or coughing.
- Eucalyptus – Great to open up sinus congestion, combat a cough, wheezing or muscle aches.
- And my favorite – the JennScents Allergy Relief Spray which is already blended for you containing these three essential oils.
- I use a blend by Solle Naturals called Balance. It contains frankincense, lavender, geranium, palmarosa and Litsea cubeba. All of these assist with allergy issues, adjusting to changing seasons, situations and diets.
Herbally my favorite remedies are:
- Histablock – this is an herbal combination that I call my “Herbal Benedryl”. It contains nettle, quercetin, bitter orange and bromelain.
- Enzymes – I found a specific enzymes that is a 3-in-1 formula called Verdezymes. it has a complete profile of digestive enzymes, protease and an intestinal soothing blend (peppermint, marshmallow root, wood betony, passion flower and fiber). It helps with stomach pH, gut inflammation, digestion and enhances a great night’s sleep (not to mention calming your spouse’s loud snoring).
- Probiotics – there are tons of probiotics in the marketplace, and it can be confusing which one is best for you. I found one that I love that is multi-purposed called ProbioIQ. It contains 5 specific strains of probiotics that are particular to gut-brain health, as well as bacopa for the “head brain” as well as red reishi for immunity. It also contains a little fiber to help with digestion. So this for me, helps me multi-task with my herbal regimen by combining 3 herbals in one for me.
- Silver Shield – this comes in a liquid to boost our immune response and fight off germs; and it comes in gel which is a topical form of the liquid for skin issues such as rash, hives, itching, burns, etc.
Have a Happy, Healthy and Scent-filled day! From JennScents
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.