Aromatherapy can be very beneficial for pets, when used safety, correctly and responsibly. The 2 main factors are to use essential oils in a safe dilution ratio and short frequency of time in a well-ventilated area. Certain essential oils will be safer than others. When using aromatherapy with your pet, I highly recommend knowing and understanding safety precautions, guidelines, contraindications, and sensitivities so that you know when your pet is responding or if they are reacting.
Safe essential oils for animals
I do find certain scent categories of essential oils to be more gentle than others. For example, citrus, floral, woods and some herbals will be more beneficial and safe. Spices, camphors and some herbaceous need to be used sparingly, Such as cinnamon, oregano, sage and thyme.
Scent categories for animals
- Citrus & fruity: Uplifting, energizing and mood supporting
- Floral: great for scan, emotional balance, territorial, and feeling nurtured
- Green & herbal: immune supporting
- Euphoric: depression, grief, PTSD
- Camphor: respiratory and circulatory issues
- Spices: digestive issues, feeling safe
- Woods: hyperactive, obedience, anxious, fear
- When using topically, always combine essential oils in a carrier first to avoid contraindications, skin sensitivities, skin burning and over toxicity.
- Use essential oils in a carrier around a wound, but never in it.
- When diffusing essential oils, keep a well-ventilated area so your pet can leave the room easily.
- Use less than a 2% dilution ratio. With smaller animals, under 20 pounds, use a .5% dilution ratio.
- You can review other safety guidelines here
For more detailed information, resources & recipes to use aromatherapy with pets, we have an Aromatherapy for Pets Guide by Clinical Aromatherapist & Herbalist, Jennifer Pressimone.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.