Can aromatherapy help with addictions? It sure can! Aromatherapy is a powerful tool that can help with a plethora of physical, mental and emotional issues. Addictions, can have a link with genetics, biochemistry, environment, society, physiological brain impairments and/or mental health disorders. Your physical structures can create an environment for addictive behaviors to manifest. Likewise, the psychological disturbances and disorders, can cause an imbalance in hormones and neurotransmitters, which trigger “electrical or circuitry shortages”, that may activate addictive behaviors.
Aromatherapy Support for Addictions
When you smell an odor (or a scent molecule), it connects throughout your olfactory and limbic system to empower assessment and processing of what that scent it. It then sends signals to ignite action or a response. For example, mints and camphoresque scents are invigorating, inspiring, uplifting and rejuvenating to open the mind, provoke energy and movement. Florals such as lavender and chamomile are calming, soothing and relaxing, which can quiet mental chatter, anxiety and nervousness. Combining these two directions of support can bring a balance of relaxing your nerves to combat addiction urges and withdrawals, while infusing motivation, willpower and empowerment to keep moving and stay focused.
Addiction Relief Essential Oils
Let’s look at some aromatherapy remedies for addictive behaviors and withdrawal symptoms.
- Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum): nervine to calm urges and cravings, stimulates movement when you feel stuck or have repetitive thoughts
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia): uplifting, anti-depressant essential oil to pick you up when you are feeling down, which is known to be a contributor to engaging in addictive behavior
- Roman Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis): a relaxant to calm anxiety and nerves, while serving as a “caretaker” to help you stop engaging in unhealthy behaviors; calms anger and irritability
- Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea): a euphoric nervine to promote self-empowerment, nerve relaxation and self-esteem
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus): support respiration, to breathe through an addiction urge and withdrawal symptom
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): a relaxant to calm anxiety and nerves, which can help you not have a craving and urge; calms irritability and frustration
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis): nervine, relaxant, anti-depressant and known to help with additive behaviors; supports GABA function; calms anxiety, agitation and anger
- Scientific study: Sustained improvement in accuracy of attention, calmness with alertness (source)
- Marjoram (Origanum marjorana): a strong nervine to calm nervous behaviors, cravings and urges
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita): uplifting, invigorating, boost willpower and anti-nausea (when have withdrawal symptoms),
No-More Smoking (or other addiction) Roll-on, 10ml
- 10ml Sunflower Oil
- 4 drops Clary sage
- 4 drops Bergamot
- 3 drops Marjoram
- 2 drops Roman Chamomile
- 2 drops Peppermint
- 1 drops Eucalyptus
Supporting Herbal Remedies for Addictions
- Adaptogens: helps the mind and body adapt to any situation or circumstance to combat physical, mental and emotional stress
- Probiotics: these feed the microbiota and gut-brain communication system for better electrical circuitry and deliver of messages and signals via the nerves
- Minerals: needed to enhance hydration of tissues, cells and organs, so they don’t spasm (addiction is a type of psychological spasming)
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s – Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9 in proper ratios): these nourish and coat nerves keeping them happy and healthy so they don’t “freak out”, spasm or cause miscommunication among cells. These are needed to calm any issues associated with mind (brain), addictions, intestinal and cardiovascular health.
- My favorite to calm cravings & help with mood, mental health & emotions of someone going through addictive behaviors is Adaptable with the Break the Cycle Roll-on.
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
References: This blog contains excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses and the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.