Clever Cleaning Solutions to Improve Your Mood
I know what you are thinking, “How can cleaning improve your mood?” It’s simple…add in aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy has been proven time and again to enhance, inspire and shift mood, mindset and motivation, as well as balance emotions and physical health. So, why not incorporate it into your cleaning practices? Not only does it help with mood, it has been scientifically shown to provide therapeutic properties.
Lemon essential oil for example has been shown to possess antioxidant and antimicrobial properties (source).
Chemical components, like limonene, within an essential oil such as bergamot, lends ant-anxiety and antidepressant benefits (source). In addition, limonene is a great degreaser when it comes to cleaning green.
How Cleaning Products Effect Mood
It is no secret that most cleaning products contain numerous chemicals. The accumulative effect of smelling all of them together have been shown to have detrimental effects on cognitive functions, mood, emotional states and the olfaction process. In my 20+ years of experience, I have seen repetitive patterns of housekeepers, homemakers and janitors have an increase in anosmia and taste issues. Coincidently, they are around a higher number of chemicals on a daily basis. They have a harder time smelling scents. The taste of their food is “off”. They seem more anxious, depressed, confused and have slower response time cognitively.
Why is this? Your nasal mucosa is responsible for cleansing the air your breathe. It also humidifies, warms or cools the inhaled vapors to assist with temperature regulation. The epithelial membranes and receptor sites in the nasal passageway are an important part of this process. if they are damaged (i.e. from chemical over-exposure), then they cannot do their job properly or optimally. According to research on the neural regulation in human nasal mucosa, “their functions depend on local mucosal feedback systems, sensory and autonomic reflexes (source)”.
The power of scent!
Cleaning Green Benefits
Great news! Even if you cannot smell the scent of 100% pure essential oils, you still can get their benefits. It can also retrain your sense of smell to combat anosmia.
When you use pure essential oils and green ingredients, it can help you have a –
- Stronger Mind
- Happier Mood
- Healthier Body & Immune
- Balanced Emotions
- Increased Energy
- Cleaner Environment
It can also –
- improve focus, memory, clarity
- reduce dry skin & blemishes
- support a healthy metabolism
- assist with hormone balance
- enhance breathing, respiration, stamina, and endurance
- enhance the body’s detoxification processes
- reduce gas, bloating, indigestion, and digestive upset
- improve muscles & joint mobility, flexibility and agility
Helpful Lifestyle Upgrades to Be Green
- Water filters
- Air filters
- Wash produce thoroughly
- EMF exposure
- Reduce toxic exposure
- Make your own chemical-free DIY cleaning products
Essential Oils to Clean Green
- Citrus: bergamot, lemon, lime, orange
- boost creativity, clarity, energy and joy
- great degreasers
- Herbaceous & Mints: oregano, patchouli, peppermint, rosemary, thyme
- supports the respiratory and immune systems
- removes gooey stuff from surfaces
- Flowers: lavender, geranium
- helps you feel nurtured
- great room sprays
- Spices: cinnamon, clove
- brings comfort and security to combat anxiety
- powerful cleaning properties
- Trees & Resins: elemi, eucalyptus, frankincense, pine, tea tree
- helps you feel rooted and grounded
- great deodorizers and room sprays
Parts of this article include excepts from the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide, Holistic Aromatherapy for Personal Care (there is an entire training module on Cleaning Green) & Phyto-Aromatherapy for Advanced Pathophysiology courses at the JennScents Aromaversity.