Essential Oil & Botanical Remedies for Acne
Oh My Goodness…What is that? A Pimple!
Acne effects million of people across the globe, of all ages.
It affects teens going through puberty and hormone changes.
Adults with hormonal and elimination issues will experience cystic acne.
Athletes who perspire a lot and wear tight clothing such as bicyclist and other contact sports like football and baseball players. When you sweat, it is not the actual sweat that smells. It is the toxins attached to it that smell. Those toxins carry out the unwanted “gunk” which, if it can’t get out and be washed away, it lays on the skin, clogging pores, causing bacteria to grow. Hence, the unwelcomed acne.
Acne and the Third Kidney
Acne is the body’s natural response to eliminating toxins. When pores get clogged, those toxins cannot get out, contributing to acne.
The skin is considered the body’s third line of elimination, behind the colon and respiratory system. Given the nickname, “third kidney”, the skin is the largest eliminative organ we have. As you can imagine, it has a lot of surface to cover, right? So, any skin issues you are having, consider supporting your kidneys by drinking more water, increasing mineral and essential fatty acid intake, being mindful of the bacteria on the skin and eat healthier.
What Causes Acne
Acne is a result of trapped toxins beneath the skin and clogged pores. If you constantly touch your face with dirty hands, the toxic debris and germs will sit on the surface, causing irritation and clogging the pores.
Unhealthy and deficient diets can also lead to acneic skin. A deficiency in minerals, essential fatty acids and enzymes are major culprits.
I first learned about face mapping from Dermalogica, a renowned skin care company. They didn’t invent it, but they use a modernized version of this model to create skin care specific to skin zones. Face mapping is based on an ancient Traditional Chinese model that assesses skin zones and correlates it to organs and body systems.
If you have acne in these areas, look at the organ or system that it relates to, so you know what needs your attention and support.
- Forehead: Intestines – related to late night eating, emotional eating and worry
- Cheeks: Lungs – related to respiratory and breathing issues as well as grief
- Nose: Heart – related to circulation and matters of the heart (love, jealousy, rejection, heartbreak)
- Sides of the Nose: Yeast, candida & fungal issues
- Between eyebrows: Liver – related to congested liver and anger
- Sides of mouth (parenthesis around mouth): Hormones – related to hormone imbalances, PMS, menopause issues
- Jawline: Stress
Acne Skin Care Regimen
- Cleanser: gel or foaming is best to help get into the pores and clean them out
- Exfoliant: to remove debris from pores.
- Caution with sensitive and thin skin: Use a minimally abrasive exfoliant with sensitive skin, and only use 1-2 times weeks.
- Toner: to hydrate, nourish and balance skin
- Anti-inflammatory Serum: to calm redness and breakouts
- Moisturizer: use a thin to medium weight moisturizer with anti-inflammatory essential oils and botanicals. With hormonal acne in aging women, you may need a heavy weight to supply rich essential fatty acids.
5 Main Types of Acne
In my years of helping people find balance within their body, I have noticed there are five main acne categories or culprits.
- Bacterial Acne: touching face with dirty hands and objects (like your cell phone)
- Hormonal Acne: puberty, PMS, menopause, hormone imbalance
- Malabsorption Acne & Baby Acne: cyst-like, hard, painful nodules that either protrude outward (trying to detoxify), or inward (more systemic imbalances)
- Back Acne: dirty clothing, clothing washed or sprayed with chemicals, cleansing from sweating, sheets
- Butt Acne: underwear material, tight jeans or shorts, cleanliness
Acne Aftermath – Helping Scars, Discoloration and Pigmentation
Having acne can be frustrating, affect your self-esteem and confidence. If you pick at your acne, it can lead to scars, pigmentation and discolorations. Finding the right cover-up or concealer make-up can be a challenge to create blended appearance.
- You may have red and/or dark spots.
- A pregnancy mask can occur during and after pregnancy if hormone levels stay imbalanced.
- Scars, indentation or protrusions of the skin.
Acne Arsenal of Ingredients for In-Home Remedies
- Carrier oils: coconut, prickly pear, sandalwood seed oil, aloe vera gel, honey, yogurt
- Sprays: distilled water, white distilled vinegar, plant-based enzymes, hydrosols
- Essential Oils
- Calming, Cooling & Anti-inflammatory: carrot seed, chamomile, frankincense, lavender, rose
- Antiseptic and Antibacterial: geranium, niaouli, rosemary, tea tree
- Scar reducing & vulnerary: chamomile, frankincense, lavender, patchouli, yarrow
- Antipruritic (anti-itch): chamomile, frankincense, myrrh, patchouli
- Important & Essential Herbal Remedies: use the acronym PAMPERED
- Adaptogens: this is a category of herbs that manage all stresses at the same time. They can enhance energy levels in the areas that need it while simultaneously calming others areas in distress.
- Minerals & Vitamins
- Enzymes these break down sugars, starches, fats and proteins to aid in digestion, nutrient absorption and optimal elimination
- Regular regimen: be consistent and take your staple supplements regularly
- Essential Fatty Acids: Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9
- Drink Water to stay hydrated: take your body weight and divide by 2. This is the least amount of pure water you should be drinking a day.
- Food: Okay, let’s get serious and talk food. Many foods that don’t agree with your particular system can affect nutrient absorption and proper elimination of toxins. if toxins cannot get out, we already talked about that they come through the skin. For some people, the part of the skin most affected is the face in the form of acne. The good thing about acne, is that you will always know which organ systems are happy and unhappy. It is like having a mirror into the inside of your body and having organs communicate with you.
- Diet wise, these are my favorite go-to’s when helping combat and eliminate acne. The elimination diet will help you determine which food are the culprits and instigators of acne breakouts. You will limit your diet to a few basic foods, with small combinations of food to see, when you add something in, if it is a problem-causer or not. Watching or limiting gluten and wheat has proven beneficial. Eating foods that are anti-inflammatory diet and in agreeance with your blood type. The Mediterranean diet is my personal favorite.
- If you do eat foods that are not beneficial for you and your blood type, and cause inflammation, congestion and acne, try taking 2 capsules of SolleClear or Histablock with those foods or meal.
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
The information shared was created solely by Certified Clinical Phyto-Aromatherapist & Aromapreneur™, Jennifer H. Pressimone. Copyright2018. No portion of this content may be reproduced, shared, or copied without written permission from the author. Any such reproduction in any form would constitute plagiarism.
References: This blog contains excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses and the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide.
Want to feel more confident in using essential oils safely to take care your family & others?
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills using essential oils?
Want to add aromatherapy to your client services to enrich your niche?
Or start a new career path in aromatherapy?
Glad you are here.
The JennScents Aromaversity has 3 training programs to meet you where you are, and help you grow to where you want to be.
When you are connected to your passion and lead with purpose, everything is possible.
You just need the right education, mentor, and tools to get you there.
Come see us at the Aromaversity to see how we can make your dreams come true, doing something you love.