Essential Oil Dilution Ratio Chart
There are 3 vital parts to using essential oils safely in aromatherapy practices. One, you need to use the right dilution ratio for the person or pet you are blending for.
Two, you want to use your aromatherapy blends with the proper frequency. Meaning, do you use it once a day, twice a day, three times a day, etc.
Three, using your essential oils with the proper duration. Sometimes a situation calls for a 15 minute session of smelling your essential oils. Other times it may need 20-30 minutes.
Dilution ratios are used to help you aromatherapy safely. Certain amounts of essential oils are needed in a blend mixed with a carrier to deliver specific results. However, you have to be mindful of the persons age, severity of health conditions, sensitivities, allergies, skin integrity and mental capacity.
Children, elderly and those with sensitivities require a small dilution ratio, as too much can aggravate membranes and their overall response. I compare using small amounts to using a shovel versus a bulldozer.
Most adults with good health can tolerate a 2-6% dilution ration. However, essential oils should be diluted in carrier to avoid skin sensitization, irritation and overburden on the liver and kidneys.
Using essential oils periodically, for a predetermined amount of time can prove beneficial in delivering results. For example –
- 5-10 minutes of smelling or diffusing an essential oil or essential oil blend is enough to inspire and generate physiological, psychological, biochemical and energetic shifts in the body. We see this through our nervous system messaging system. You can also gauge those results by how you feel after you smell an oil. One whiff can be all you need.
- 10-15 minute session engages the olfactory processes and limbic system to create movements and more significant shifts, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and energetically. It is a great place to start when beginning aromatherapy or if you will be using it numerous ties during the day.
- 15-30 minute sessions help with more serious mind and body health needs, requiring an even greater shift and sustained support.
- 30-60 minutes are beneficial when you are diffusing throughout the whole house or workplace using a small dilution ratio.
- Once a daily: maintenance or a jolt of energy or relaxation
- Twice daily: helpful when you are trying to create a habit such as calming nerves, managing worry, curbing appetite
- Three times a day: when you are trying to balance an imbalance such as allergies, asthma (short durations), skin issues
- Four to Six times a day: To provide situational support for an immediate health need such as anxiety, depression, panic attacks, etc.
Essential Oil Dilution Ratio Assessment
How do you properly assess which dilution ratio to use for certain situations? I have included my latest dilution ratio chart as a guide. This is based on my education, wisdom, experience, science, chemistry, and research. Technically, 1 drop of an essential oil in 2 ounces of a carrier would be enough to elicit a response, measured by a biochemical test such as a blood test or blood pressure test. Becuase our current society has been immersed in a cloud of scent “fumes”, many people think more is better. That is not the case when you use 100% pure essential oils.
Essential Oil Dilution Ratio Chart
Want to learn more about aromatherapy and how to use it safely for better physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and energetic health? Visit the JennScents Aromaversity for our elite aromatherapy certification programs. All courses are holistic health focus and discuss essential oils, herbs, flower essences and other natural health modalities for a well-rounded education.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.