Essential Oils for Common Skin Issues
Essential oils have been used for centuries for skin care. From Egyptians to Greeks, Romans, traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda medicine to a huge multi-billion dollar industry today. There are products for general skin care needs and specialized products that cater to certain skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Choosing Essential Oils for Skin Conditions
When you are choosing essential oils for certain skin conditions, here are a few characteristics to cross-reference.
- Do you have any allergies, sensitivities or contraindications (health conditions, medications, etc.)
- What essential oils do you have on hand
- Therapeutic properties that you need to help your situation
- Odor intensity of the essential oils to help you formulate properly
- Essential oil safety precautions. For example, cinnamon can burn and irritate the skin.
Choosing Carriers for Skin Conditions
When choosing carriers for certain skin issues, consider these factors:
- Do you have any allergies, sensitivities or contraindications (health conditions, medications, etc.)? If you are allergic to coconuts, you do not want to use coconut oil.
- Weight if the carrier oil. Is it thin, medium or heavy weight?
- What carrier weight is needed for the particular skin issue? A heavy weight, such as castor oil, can be too heavy for skin issues like scrapes that need to breath.
- What do you have on hand.
- What are the contraindications for the carrier oil?
- Be mindful of the shelf-life of the carrier you choose in relation to how much you are making and the timeframe in which it will be used. Don’t make up 8 ounces if you will be using a tiny, pea-size amount daily for 2 weeks. You will have too much left over that may go to waste. Not only is this costly, but plant material was sacrificed for you to receive its benefits. We want to be responsible in supporting sustainability.
Essential Oils for Skin Issues
Scratches, Scrapes, Irritations & Rashes: Choose essential oils that are antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- cedar, lavender, frankincense, patchouli, myrrh, tea tree, yarrow
Bug Bites: Choose essential oils that are antipruritic and anti-inflammatory.
- chamomile, lavender, frankincense, patchouli, yarrow
Burns & Sunburn: Choose essential oils that are cooling, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- chamomile, lavender, peppermint, myrrh
Fungal issues: Choose essential oils that are antifungal, antipruritic and anti-inflammatory.
- geranium, oregano, patchouli, tea tree
Eczema & Psoriasis: Choose essential oils that are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- bergamot, chamomile, geranium, lavender, frankincense, melissa, myrrh, ravintsara
Molluscum: Choose essential oils that are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- bergamot, cinnamon (small amount), geranium, lavender, ravintsara
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
The information shared was created solely by Certified Clinical Phyto-Aromatherapist & Scentpreneur™, Jennifer H. Pressimone. Copyright2018. No portion of this content may be reproduced, shared, or copied without written permission from the author. Any such reproduction in any form would constitute plagiarism.
References: This blog contains excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses and the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.