Essential Oils for Common Skin Issues
Essential oils have been used for centuries for skin care. From Egyptians to Greeks, Romans, traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda medicine to a huge multi-billion dollar industry today. There are products for general skin care needs and specialized products that cater to certain skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Choosing Essential Oils for Skin Conditions
When you are choosing essential oils for certain skin conditions, here are a few characteristics to cross-reference.
- Do you have any allergies, sensitivities or contraindications (health conditions, medications, etc.)
- What essential oils do you have on hand?
- Therapeutic properties that you need to help your situation
- Odor intensity of the essential oils to help you formulate properly
- Essential oil safety precautions. For example, cinnamon can burn and irritate the skin.
Choosing Carriers for Skin Conditions
When choosing carriers for certain skin issues, consider these factors:
- Do you have any allergies, sensitivities or contraindications (health conditions, medications, etc.)? If you are allergic to coconuts, you do not want to use coconut oil.
- Weight if the carrier oil. Is it thin, medium or heavy weight?
- What carrier weight is needed for the particular skin issue? A heavy weight, such as castor oil, can be too heavy for skin issues like scrapes that need to breath.
- What do you have on hand.
- What are the contraindications for the carrier oil?
- Be mindful of the shelf-life of the carrier you choose in relation to how much you are making and the timeframe in which it will be used. Don’t make up 8 ounces if you will be using a tiny, pea-size amount daily for 2 weeks. You will have too much left over that may go to waste. Not only is this costly, but plant material was sacrificed for you to receive its benefits. We want to be responsible in supporting sustainability.
Best Skin Care Carrier Oils
- Evening Primrose oil: helps with scarring & dry skin
- Hemp seed oil: helps dry & sensitive skin
- Jojoba oil: nourishes & moisturizes skin
- Rosehip oil: helps with scarring & dry skin
- Plant-based enzymes: these hydrate & nourish skin, helping alleviate any scar tissue buildup beneath the skin
- Have a sensitivity to nuts? Check out these nut-free carriers
Essential Oils for Skin Issues
Scratches, Scrapes, Irritations & Rashes: Choose essential oils that are antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- cedar, lavender, frankincense, patchouli, myrrh, tea tree, yarrow
- JennScents Skin Support
Bug Bites: Choose essential oils that are antipruritic and anti-inflammatory.
- chamomile, lavender, frankincense, patchouli, yarrow
- JennScents Bug Bite Relief
Burns & Sunburn: Choose essential oils that are cooling, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- chamomile, lavender, peppermint, myrrh
- JennScents Sunburn Soother
Fungal issues: Choose essential oils that are antifungal, antipruritic and anti-inflammatory.
Eczema & Psoriasis: Choose essential oils that are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- bergamot, chamomile, geranium, lavender, frankincense, melissa, myrrh, ravintsara
- JennScents Eczema & Psoriasis Cream: Fun fact – this was one of my very first products I created in 2002 and has been on my best-seller list every single year since.
Molluscum: Choose essential oils that are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and vulnerary.
- bergamot, cinnamon (small amount), geranium, lavender, ravintsara
- JennScents Molluscum Skin Spray
My herbal regimen to strengthen & promote healthy skin and hair growth:
- This special plant-based collagen combined with adaptogens, and antioxidants is incredible.
- Omega 3 powder with
- Probiotic with bacopa to strengthen gut-brain communication & red reishi for immune support
Want to learn more about using essential oil & aromatherapy practices for skin care health? Check out the Masterclass on Phyto-Aromatherapy for the Integumentary System at the JennScents Aromaversity.
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
The information shared was created solely by Certified Clinical Phyto-Aromatherapist & Scentpreneur™, Jennifer H. Pressimone. Copyright2018. No portion of this content may be reproduced, shared, or copied without written permission from the author. Any such reproduction in any form would constitute plagiarism.
References: This blog contains excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses and the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide.
Want to feel more confident in using essential oils safely to take care your family & others?
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills using essential oils?
Want to add aromatherapy to your client services to enrich your niche?
Or start a new career path in aromatherapy?
Glad you are here.
The JennScents Aromaversity has 3 training programs to meet you where you are, and help you grow to where you want to be.
When you are connected to your passion and lead with purpose, everything is possible.
You just need the right education, mentor, and tools to get you there.
Come see us at the Aromaversity to see how we can make your dreams come true, doing something you love.