Essential Oils for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (Pots)
A common question I get asked is if there are essential oils to help with “POTS”. This is Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. According to the Mayo Clinic, this is described as an “autonomic dysfunction (dysautonomia)…with symptoms of orthostatic intolerance and excessive postural tachycardia (more than 40 beats a minute) with supine to upright positioning on a tilt table. (source)”
Someone having this may experience things like (not a complete list) –
- dizziness (fluid imbalance in the body)
- off balance and walking imbalanced
- extreme fatigue
- brain fog or confusion
- abdominal & body pain
When you look at these effects, you can see the gastrointestinal, urinary (kidney), nervous and circulatory (blood & lymphatic) body systems are being taxed. They are having a hard time communicating and functioning properly, which leads to imbalances on the body and mind. Not only is their physical stress, but emotional and mental health stress too.
The aromatherapy approach I take includes essential oils and herbs that support all these systems, simultaneously. Consider ones that assist with these functions, cross-referencing the ones that provide the biggest support in the majority of these areas. Think of all of your “fluid mover” oils and herbs. These would include (not a complete list):
- Essential oils: fluid movers, lymphatic & immune supporters), nourishing, and glandular support (adrenal, thyroid, pancreas, hormones)
- Herbs: adaptogens, nervous system, adrenal, kidney, liver, and gut support, blood purifiers, antihistamine, anti-inflammatory
- juniper berries
- red clover
- Vitamins & Core nutrients:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Digestive enzymes with full spectrum protease
- Essential Fatty Acids
Terrain State Connection
Anytime you deal with an oscillation in terrain states – hot or cold, wet or dry, excess or deficient, and tense or atrophied, you need a couple adaptogens and regulators in the essential oil blend to keep it balanced. The goal is to balance imbalances. You may have to do this with botanicals that support from various angles or directions. For example, lemon is cooling and can reduce the heat of rosemary. To what extent depends on how many drops or volume of each that you use.
Some essential oils that I would include in my blend to bring balance are:
I would pick at least 2 from this list based on what you have on hand, and what your intuitive guide is telling you. You might want to read the “Aromatherapy & Complementary Holistic Health Modalities” chapter in my book, JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide, to get a better “feel” for the oils.
POTS Specific Remedies
Since working with a few clients experiencing POTS, I have found these specific essential oils to be most beneficial. Must be 100% pure, unadulterated essential oils. No synthetic or fragrance oils.
- sweet basil
You won’t need all of these in one blend. Pick what you feel matches the person you are blending for the best, in addition to what I have listed above. You can use your “scentillect“, “scentuition“, and/or muscle test to confirm your choices.
You will need to combine in a carrier before using, or add to a diffuser for inhalation sessions. Carriers I like are –
- For Sprays – purified water, plant enzymes, aquasol silver, hydrosols, vegetable glycerin
- Lotions & Creams: Shea butter, Alba unscented lotion, calendula cream, arnica cream
- Body Oils: apricot, blackseed oil, evening primrose, hazelnut, hemp, rosehip, sunflower
- Soap: Castile soap
Body Spray Recipe, 2oz.
- 2 oz. glass or BPA-free plastic bottle
- .25 ounces vegetable glycerin
- 1.75 oz. Plant enzymes
- 4 drops cedar
- 3 drops turmeric
- 3 drops frankincense
- 4 drops lavender
- 3 drops marjoram
- 2 drops lemon
- 1 drop sweet basil
Add vegetable glycerin to the bottle, followed by the essential oils. Swirl around gently to help the essential oils emulsify into the vegetable glycerin. Let this sit for 15-30 minutes, swirling every 5-10 minutes in between. Next, add in the plant enzymes. Shake well. Label. Store in a cool area, away from the sun, artificial light and EMF’s. Use 3-6 times daily and as needed for support.
Don’t have the ingredients to make it up, and want me to make it for you? Order a POTS blend roll-on here.
Healthy Lifestyle Habits to Incorporate
- Manage hydration levels. It is one thing to drink water and another to absorb it.
- Clean Green – the more chemical based product you use, the worse you will feel. Use more natural products or make your own. Here is my Cleaning Green ebook with informational tips, recipes & resources.
- Get enough rest & sleep. The key is to be in bed by 10:30pm at the latest and try to get 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. If you are waking up throughout the night, what time are you waking up for the first time? Match that up with the circadian time zone to know which remedies will help you best.
- Choose foods wisely and limit lymph & gut congesting foods like breads, pastas, dairy, etc.
- Surround yourself with laughter – funny movies, videos & people
- When you are cleaning & detoxing, start slow until you become familiar with how your body and emotions will respond. Too much can make things work.
If you want more training on essential oils specific for health and wellness, consider getting your aromatherapy certification with me at the JennScents Aromaversity. Not only do you learn about individual essential oils, I teach you how to strengthen and implement your own critical thinking skills to be a able to formulate and blend anytime, for anyone. You certainly can duplicate a recipe. But if you want to know the why’s, how’s, what’s and the science behind the recipe, my classes are for you.
Want private health coaching and support? Book a holistic health consultation or coaching series with me here.
Want to feel more confident in using essential oils safely to take care your family & others?
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills using essential oils?
Want to add aromatherapy to your client services to enrich your niche?
Or start a new career path in aromatherapy?
Glad you are here.
The JennScents Aromaversity has 3 training programs to meet you where you are, and help you grow to where you want to be.
Check out our Aromatherapy Certifications here.
When you are connected to your passion and lead with purpose, everything is possible.
You just need the right education, mentor, and tools to get you there.
Come see us at the Aromaversity to see how we can make your dreams come true, doing something you love.