GERD, aka silent reflux, stands for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disorder. It affects a large number of people from small children to elderly. GERD occurs when there is disharmony in the upper GI tract. The gastric contents are reversed affecting the mucosal lining and esophagus functions (source).
Commonly characterized by a sour taste in the mouth, scratchy throat with chronic hacking, non-productive cough (like hair or lettuce in the throat), heartburn, and constant indigestion. Especially triggered by stress, certain foods, post-nasal drip, and a deficient immune system.
Some people can experience non-erosive reflux disease (NERD).
There is a form of GERD called laryngopharyngeal reflux syndrome (LPR), which produces prominent symptoms and signs in the pharynx and larynx, such as chronic and intermittent laryngitis and pharyngitis. This is commonly referred to as silent reflux because it is more of an implosion of gastric juices versus and explosion as experienced in acid reflux.
What Causes GERD
- Compromised immune health & CBC imbalances
- Acidic foods
- Candida & yeast issues
- Irregular bowels (constipation and/or diarrhea)
- Microbiome dysbiosis
- IBS flare up
Holistic Remedies to Help GERD Symptoms
Herbs & Herbal Teas
- Chinese licorice root
- Marshmallow root
- Slippery Elm
- Warm foods are best. Avoid cold or raw foods.
- Sauteed kale with olive oil, flax seeds, sea salt and a spray of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos.
- Vegetable broth, homemade
- Baked apples – Here is a great article on the benefits of apples for reflux from one of my mentors, Dr. Bruce Berkowsky. He shares a yummy apple-almond milk breakfast recipe.
- Antihistamine & Anti-inflammatory foods
Lifestyle Supporting habits
- Use a humidifier – diffuser 30-minute sessions, 2-3 times daily to keep airways moist
- Get 7-9 hours of rest as much as possible
- Laugh…A lot! You need fun, belly-laughing to help boost the immune system
- Movement! Nothing too strenuous. Yoga, walking, are stretching are great to help you move.
Silent Reflux (LPR) Cough Tea Recipe
- 2T organic lemon juice or fresh squeezed organic lemons
- 3T manuka honey
- 1t digestive bitters
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese licorice root extract
- 1 Mullein tea bag
- 1 Chamomile tea bag, organic
- 1 Ginger tea bag, organic
- 1 Peppermint tea bag, organic
- 1 Rosemary tea bag, organic
- 16 oz. hot water
Let tea bags steep for 4 minutes. Sip slowly as you sit up straight allowing your lungs and esophagus to elongate.