Ask any woman and they’ll tell you, oh those hormones have affected me at one time or another. Often times it affects quality of life, social activities, daily tasks, mental and emotional states. It can be debilitating, inconvenient and painful. Hormone imbalances doesn’t just affect women, they affect men too. It affects us at all ages from childhood to puberty, and adulthood to menopause or andropause.
Healthy, Happy Hormones
The glandular system is responsible for regulating certain body functions via hormones and other secretions. These stimulate and promote healthy emotions, growth, development, sexual identity, body temperature and repair of tissue states. The glandular system works with the nervous system to maintain the body’s balance and allows for accurate and effective communication. This is why mood and emotions are highly connected. Within the glandular system are endocrine glands. These glands that produce varying hormones, for varying functions include the hypothalamus, pituitary, pineal, thyroid, thymus, adrenals, pancreas, ovaries and testes. As you can imagine, this is a pretty important system and assist in optimal gut-brain communication. These glands release hormones (chemical messengers) that get delivered into the bloodstream and are carried to tissues, organs and systems inside of the body. When there is an imbalance, dysfunction or disarray in their delivery, hormones go haywire and cause chaos, hence a host of problems such as mood swings, PMS, hot flashes, and hair thinning.
Not So Happy Hormones
Hormones heavily influence mood, energy levels, cognitive function and numerous other organ processes. Discrepancies with any of these functions or hormone secretions, can interrupt and disrupt overall hormone balance. There is a direct link with the liver, which we know if the organ of action, anger and lethargy. Hormones are formed from cholesterol. HDL is a form of cholesterol that tells us how hormones, specifically estrogens, are performing. I like for my HDL levels to be between 40-70. If it goes above 80, I suspect there is heavy metal toxicity present. Common “unhappy hormones” issues include:
- Hormone headaches: not always, but typically these feel like they are in the front of the head, on the right side.
- PMS: abdominal cramping, heavy menses, extreme fatigue, feeling yucky, nausea
- Hot Flashes: night sweats, daytime flushes (see if there is a pattern that links hot flashes to a certain time of day – circadian rhythm).
- Mood swings: “Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde” persona, excess weepy, excess anger, confusion, frustration, irritability
- Decreased libido
Happy Herbal Hormone Remedies
There are numerous herbal and essential oil remedies that provide support for the glandular system.
- Wild Yam: menses regulator, painful periods, menopause symptom reducer, antispasmodic, analgesic
- Damiana: nervous system restorative, aphrodisiac, nerve tonic, analgesic, blood purifier
- Maca: nourishes and rejuvenated libido, tonifies hormonal pathways, enhanced hormone communication
- Yarrow: excessive blood flow, skin irritations, urinary support
- Yellow Dock: mineral rich to combat anemia, skin issues, glandular inflammation
Happy Essential Oil Hormone Remedies
- Citrus oils: anxiety, depression, pick me up, cooling to hot flashes
- Clary sage: PMS, hot flashes, anxiety, promotes feeling fun and rejuvenated
- Frankincense: anti-inflammatory, respiratory support, hormone PMS, hot flashes, reduces feelings of fear
- Geranium: reduces stress, PMS pain and hot flashes
- Lavender: relaxing, balancing, harmonizing in thoughts, emotions and body functions
- Pine: stress relief, urinary support, grief, guilt, longing for things to be the way they were “back in the day”
- Yarrow: reduces excess blood flow with heavy periods, dispels negativity
Cleansing the reproductive organs can help them function better, absorb nutrients better and release toxic debris. It’s like given the ovaries, testes and other endocrine glands a bath to wash away the trash and debris to make them shiny and new. I personally like to a cleanse every 4 months. Some people may commit to once a year, and others may do one person season (so 4 a year). I recommend listening to your body and doing what you are comfortable with. My guiding motto is, “may you never know the disease you prevented”. So I use this as my motivator and encourage to do a cleanse. Here are my go to cleansing remedy program –
- Lymphatic Supporters: Cleavers, Red Clover, Manjistha Root Extract
- Liver, Colon, Kidney, Heavy Metal & Candida Detoxification Herbs: Algin, Bentonite Clay, Dandelion, Kelp, Oregon Grape Root, Milk Thistle Extract
- Hydration Enhancers – Minerals: Nettle, Mulberry, Alfalfa, Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses, Spirulina, Chamomile, Yellow Dock
- Digestive Enzymes
- Essential Fatty Acids
Hormone Balance Oil, 2oz.
6 drops Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
6 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
4 drops Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
3 drops Sandalwood (Santalum album)
2 drops Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
1 ounce Evening Primrose oil
1 ounce Rosehip oil
Use as needed for skin hydration, abdomen rub (cramp relief), foot rub, neck rub, full body massage or bath oil.
Resources: Dr. Kimberly Balas, Biochemical Blood Analysis,
References: This blog contains excerpt from the JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses, Anatomy & Physiology I, www.JennScents.com. Copyright2018. No portion of this blog may be reproduced or copied without written authorization by the author.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.