Ask any woman and they’ll tell you, oh those hormones have affected me at one time or another. Often times it affects quality of life, social activities, daily tasks, mental and emotional states. It can be debilitating, inconvenient and painful. Hormone imbalances doesn’t just affect women, they affect men too. It affects us at all ages from childhood to puberty, and adulthood to menopause or andropause.
Listen in here to a video clip of me sharing the olfaction and health differences between women and men.
Healthy, Happy Hormones
The glandular system is responsible for regulating certain body functions via hormones and other secretions. These stimulate and promote healthy emotions, growth, development, sexual identity, body temperature and repair of tissue states. The glandular system works with the nervous system to maintain the body’s balance and allows for accurate and effective communication. This is why mood and emotions are highly connected. Within the glandular system are endocrine glands. These glands that produce varying hormones, for varying functions include the hypothalamus, pituitary, pineal, thyroid, thymus, adrenals, pancreas, ovaries and testes. As you can imagine, this is a pretty important system and assist in optimal gut-brain communication. These glands release hormones (chemical messengers) that get delivered into the bloodstream and are carried to tissues, organs and systems inside of the body. When there is an imbalance, dysfunction or disarray in their delivery, hormones go haywire and cause chaos, hence a host of problems such as mood swings, PMS, hot flashes, and hair thinning.
Not So Happy Hormones
Hormones heavily influence mood, energy levels, cognitive function and numerous other organ processes. Discrepancies with any of these functions or hormone secretions, can interrupt and disrupt overall hormone balance. There is a direct link with the liver, which we know if the organ of action, anger and lethargy. Hormones are formed from cholesterol. HDL is a form of cholesterol that tells us how hormones, specifically estrogens, are performing. I like for my HDL levels to be between 40-70. If it goes above 80, I suspect there is heavy metal toxicity present. Common “unhappy hormones” issues include:
- Hormone headaches: Not always, but typically these feel like they are in the front of the head, on the right side. Linked with emotions of heightened anger & irritability.
- PMS: Abdominal cramping, heavy menses, extreme fatigue, feeling yucky, and nausea. Emotions of feeling unloved and unappreciated can be elevated.
- Hot Flashes: night sweats, daytime flushes (see if there is a pattern that links hot flashes to a certain time of day – circadian rhythm). These can cause impatience & short-tempered emotions.
- Mood swings: “Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde” persona, excess weepy, excess anger, confusion, frustration, irritability
- Decreased libido which can promote more feelings of inadequacies and unworthiness.
- Hormone acne: Breakouts around the mouth, chin and jawline. Typically connected with hormone imbalances and elevated inflammation which triggers excess histamine responses often due to heavy-metal toxicity. Skin mapping and face analysis have long been used as a tool to help us understand what is going on with our body from the inside out. Emotions and lingering thoughts often higher with this are bitterness and resentment of someone who has betrayed you, or not treated you with value.
Happy Herbal Hormone Remedies
There are numerous herbal and essential oil remedies that provide support for the glandular system.
- Wild Yam: menses regulator, painful periods, menopause symptom reducer, antispasmodic, analgesic
- Damiana: nervous system restorative, aphrodisiac, nerve tonic, analgesic, blood purifier
- Maca: nourishes and rejuvenated libido, tonifies hormonal pathways, enhanced hormone communication
- Chaste Tree: hormone balancer, supports pituitary function, hormonal acne
- Yarrow: excessive blood flow, skin irritations, urinary support
- Yellow Dock: mineral rich to combat anemia, skin issues, glandular inflammation
Happy Essential Oil Hormone Remedies
- Citrus oils: anxiety, depression, pick me up, cooling to hot flashes
- Clary sage: PMS, hot flashes, anxiety, promotes feeling fun and rejuvenated
- Frankincense: anti-inflammatory, respiratory support, hormone PMS, hot flashes, reduces feelings of fear
- Geranium: reduces stress, PMS pain and hot flashes
- Lavender: relaxing, balancing, harmonizing in thoughts, emotions and body functions
- Pine: stress relief, urinary support, grief, guilt, longing for things to be the way they were “back in the day”
- Yarrow: reduces excess blood flow with heavy periods, dispels negativity
Cleansing the reproductive organs can help them function better, absorb nutrients better and release toxic debris. It’s like given the ovaries, testes and other endocrine glands a bath to wash away the trash and debris to make them shiny and new. I personally like to a cleanse every 4 months. Some people may commit to once a year, and others may do one person season (so 4 a year). I recommend listening to your body and doing what you are comfortable with. My guiding motto is, “may you never know the disease you prevented”. So I use this as my motivator and encourage to do a cleanse. Here are my go to cleansing remedy program –
- Lymphatic Supporters: Cleavers, Red Clover, Manjistha Root Extract
- Liver, Colon, Kidney, Heavy Metal & Candida Detoxification Herbs: Algin, Bentonite Clay, Dandelion, Kelp, Oregon Grape Root, Milk Thistle Extract
- Hydration Enhancers – Minerals: Nettle, Mulberry, Alfalfa, Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses, Spirulina, Chamomile, Yellow Dock
- Digestive Enzymes
- Essential Fatty Acids
Hormone Balance Oil, 2oz.
6 drops Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
6 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
4 drops Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
3 drops Sandalwood (Santalum album)
2 drops Neroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara)
1 ounce Evening Primrose oil
1 ounce Rosehip oil
Use as needed for skin hydration, abdomen rub (cramp relief), foot rub, neck rub, full body massage or bath oil.
Resources: Dr. Kimberly Balas, Biochemical Blood Analysis,
References: This blog contains excerpt from the JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses, Anatomy & Physiology I, www.JennScents.com. Copyright2018. No portion of this blog may be reproduced or copied without written authorization by the author.
Want someone to help you identify where you are stuck and why, and create an action plan to get you moving?
Want to create movement in your life, health & business that builds momentum so you can achieve your goals & dreams?
Want a tried-and-true system that guides you in taking steps, so you don’t have to figure it out on your own?
I’ve got you.
Check out my Design, Align & Shine Coaching Program that helps you uncover hidden or stuck mindset blocks to unleash your inner fire. When you are connected to your purpose and passion, everything is possible. You just need the desire, a system, guide and tools to get you there.
Here how this program transformed the life of my client Brandee.
Get registered for my Design, Align & Shine Program. Your time is NOW!