Where Do You Feel Your Emotions?
Did you know that each organ has an emotional counterpart? When you are experiencing a physical ailment, think about what emotions coincide with that body part. We hold the emotion of worry in the gut or gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Anger in the liver. Grief in the lungs. Fear in the kidneys. Not feeling supported is in the bones. Ailments in the front of the body have to do with moving forward. Ailments in the back of the body have to do with letting go of something from the past. Right now, I want you to take a personal assessment. Close your eyes. Become aware of your body, thoughts and emotions. Where does it hurt? What are you thinking and do any emotions pop up immediately? Take note and review the emotions connected to it.
Our Gut – The Worrier
Knowing the importance of the gut is helpful when you are working on getting well, staying well. As Hippocrates said, “All Disease begins in the gut.” I first heard of this at a 2003 conference, from Dr. Hugo Rodier, who said, “the root of all disease, is in the gut.” Yep, they were right. It is how my health journey began. Healing my gut from IBS, leaky gut, Crohn’s and colitis. There are tons of scientific studies proving this now. Search “gut”, “intestines”, or “microbiome” at PubMed.gov.
The emotion most connected to the GI tract is worry. You’ve probably heard the term worrywart, a person who is inclined to worry unduly (source) or one who worries excessively and needlessly (source). They dwell on what might or could happen, to the point it gets their stomach in knots. They may even feel nauseous or sick to their stomach about a tough, or potentially tough situation. Mental chatter, over-analyzing information, confusion, poor concentration, anxiety, depression and not feeling good enough are all linked to an unhealthy gut, and result from over-worrying. Stressful events can trigger this into overload and exasperate gut symptoms.
When someone’s GI system is in turmoil, whether a little or a lot, they can’t think as clearly. Emotions may flare up. They may be more negative or pessimistic. It’s hard being around these “negative Nancy’s”. However, it is important to note, it is all because their gut is a mess. If you stick by them, support them, inspire them and motivate them, it will help keep their spirits high and positivity in the forefront. When they sit alone for too long, this allows them the opportunity to dwell on possible misfortunes, build anxiety and foster depression.
Our Mind – The Warrior
Our mind is a powerful tool. When you believe you can do something, you can. When you commit to something, you can accomplish anything. Knowing you can is over half the battle. So when the gut is a mess, focus on tools that can engage, support and lift the mind. Aromatherapy is one of the most powerful tools to do this. Our sense of smell is the only sense that is faster than instant. It is a direct link to the brain to assess a situation immediately, communicate with the gut brain to take action, which then engages the 3rd brain, the microbiome to provide the tools to carry out the job.
Science shows the Limbic System’s role is behavior, responses and reactions. It is a driving force behind why and how we respond to a situation in addition to emotions, motivations, drive and ambition. This system is also activated by inhaling, 100% pure essential oils. Imagine, waking up every day with an aromatherapy scent or blend that puts you in a good mood, engages your brain to function and think, increases energy and boosts your immune system. Further, if you smelled your favorite scent or blend throughout the daytime, do you think your stress levels would be better? Even better, when you smell relaxing and calming scents before bed, you can fall asleep easy, get a good deep sleep and wake up feeling rested. Sound good? Your gut thinks so.
Worrier Warrior Solutions
Here are the tools I use to the strengthen my intestinal system, gut-brain communications and over-worrying tendencies, no matter what the GI and colon-rectal issue at hand:
- Aromatherapy – I diffuse and use my aromatherapy sprays and lotions daily. My favorite gastrointestinal supporting oils are –
- Roman Chamomile: anything & everything gut supporter – pain, cramping, GI upset…this was my IBS reliever
- Fennel: digestive support & mucilaginous for gut membranes
- Marjoram: nervine to calm intestinal cramping & pain
- Peppermint: digestive supporting & cools excess heat
- Black pepper: stimulate circulation for a sluggish gut
- Probiotics – a MUST have for everyone! Probiotics strengthen the microbiome, immune system, digestive function and gut-brain communication. My favorite one contains bacopa (a brain herb) and red reishi (an immune herb).
- Hydration & Minerals – I drink at least half of my body weight in water (in ounces) daily and add in an extra cup of herbal minerals tea. Minerals help you absorb the water you drink, as well as absorb nutrients and assist in healthy and optimum elimination.
- Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3, 6, 7 & 9) – good fats nourish the gut, brain and nerves to enhance cell communication, message delivery and overall functions of every body system. I like a balance of Omega 3 & 6. There are capsules and there is EFA powders for those who want to add it to their smoothie, meal replacement beverage or drink on its own.
- Slipper Elm – to calm bowel spasms, IBS cramps and intestinal discomfort.
- Digestive Enzymes – to help break down food, absorb, assimilate and utilize the nutrients. I like to have a full-spectrum enzyme that includes protease, amylase, cellulase, glucoamylase, invertase, lipase and maltase along with a digestive soothing blend of herbs such as wood betony, peppermint leaf, marshmallow root and passionflower.
- Fiber – I like a 50/50 ratio of soluble and insoluble fiber that includes digestive soothing herbals that can help someone process the fiber without gas, bloating and indigestion. Fiber can help sweep up and facilitate elimination clean out any toxic debris, which opens up the path for nutrients to get in, and get absorbed.
- Anti-inflammatory herbal combination such as curcumin, boswellia, noni, scutelaria root, magnolia bark and myrrh gum.
If you love learning about gastrointestinal health, and finding holistic remedies to combat GI pain and discomfort, check out our Phyto-Aromatherapy for Gastrointestinal Health Course. We share lots of pertinent, home-care remedies, with a ton of evidence-based scientific studies and recipes for numerous GI adn colon-rectal concerns.
My DIY GI Support Roll-on (or you can order mine here)
- 10 mL glass roll-on bottle
- 10 mL unscented carrier oil (apricot, grapeseed, sunflower, etc.) or Aloe Vera Gel
- 6 drops roman chamomile, Anthemis nobile
- 3 drops marjoram, Origanum marjorana
- 3 drops peppermint, Mentha x piperita
- 1 drop black pepper, Piper nigrum
In the 10 mL glass roll-on bottle, add in the essential oils followed by the carrier oil. Place the rollerball on, then cap it. Shake well so the essential oils emulsify into the carrier oil or gel. Label. Use as needed for GI support.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
References: This blog may contain excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses and the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide.
Want someone to help you identify where you are stuck and why, and create an action plan to get you moving?
Want to create movement in your life, health & business that builds momentum so you can achieve your goals & dreams?
Want a tried-and-true system that guides you in taking steps, so you don’t have to figure it out on your own?
I’ve got you.
Check out my Design, Align & Shine Coaching Program that helps you uncover hidden or stuck mindset blocks to unleash your inner fire. When you are connected to your purpose and passion, everything is possible. You just need the desire, a system, guide and tools to get you there.
Get registered for my Design, Align & Shine Program. Your time is NOW!