What is the thyroid’s purpose?
The thyroid is a gland that regulates metabolism of carbs, thyroid hormones, proteins and fats. It has an influence on the body’s growth ability and metabolic rate (weight management). It’s best friend is the adrenals, as they work together to generate physical, mental and emotional energy, assist in weight management, regulates sleep, and many other functions. In natural health, the thyroid has been referred to as the “third ovary”, as there is a connection between thyroid function and ovarian function. A March-April 2011 study showed “Severe longstanding hypothyroidism leads to increased ovarian volume and/or cyst formation.” (source).
Thyroid Imbalances – red light
If you research the thyroid gland, and common thyroid issues, you will find thousands of articles and studies. Some of the most prominent imbalances I see on a daily basis with my clients are:
- excessive weight gain or loss
- hair falling out (alopecia)
- thinning eyebrows
- fatigue and tired all of the time
- sluggish thinking
- not speaking up for self and honoring your boundaries
- suppressing self-love and self-worth
Culprits that contribute to poor thyroid health:
- wearing synthetic perfumes and colognes
- adrenal exhaustion &burning the candle at both ends
- regular alcohol consumption (more than 3 shot glass amounts)
- autoimmune conditions
- heavy metal toxicity
Thyroid Warning Signs – yellow light
What are the warning signs, or smoke signals your body sends you when the thyroid is unhappy, deprived of proper nutrients and overworked? For me, I notice that I have a harder time sustaining energy for an extended period of time. Sometimes it is a gradual thing, so I am not as quick to pay attention. Other times, I notice that by noon, my steam has run out. My hair, nails and skin seem to be more thin and brittle. Mood is affected, making me either more gloomy or anxious. I am not able to solve problems as quickly as I like, nor think situations through with ease and clarity. My thoughts become more muffled, confused and lethargic. All signs that thyroid is not running with a full tank of gas.
Thyroid Supporters – green light
I have several thyroid supporting herbs in my daily arsenal to nourish, feed and rejuvenate my thyroid and adrenals.
- Greens and Algae: Kelp and spirulina for pH maintenance, minerals and nourishment
- Minerals: alfalfa, chlorophyll, nettle, mulberry, spinach, black walnut hulls
- Essential Fatty Acids: I like plant based ones that offer omega 3, 6, 7 and 9, along with fat emulsifier to help me break it down and absorb it better
- Enzymes: to break down food – carbs, proteins, sugars and fats
- Protein: I like a plant-based protein like pea protein, since it s easy to digest.
- Aromatherapy: inhaling certain scents can help with thyroid function regulation
- Balance and support: myrtle, melissa, palmarosa
- Speaking up for your self, standing in your power – myrrh, orange, lemon
- Grounded: pine, fir, spruce, sandalwood
Thyroid Support Recipe
2 ounces of distilled water or liquid plant enzymes
7 drops Green Myrtle (Myrtus communis)
4 drops Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
5 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)
3 drops Himalayan Fir (Abies spectabilis)
2 drops Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii var. motia)
Mix ingredients together in a bottle, shake well, and label. Use 2-4 times daily to nourish normal thyroid function.
Want someone to help you identify where you are stuck and why, and create an action plan to get you moving?
Want to create movement in your life, health & business that builds momentum so you can achieve your goals & dreams?
Want a tried-and-true system that guides you in taking steps, so you don’t have to figure it out on your own?
I’ve got you.
Check out my Mindset & Health Coaching Programs to help you uncover hidden or stuck mindset blocks to unleash your inner fire. When you are connected to your purpose and passion, everything is possible. You just need the desire, a system, guide and tools to get you there.