What is the thyroid’s purpose?
The thyroid is a gland that regulates metabolism of carbs, thyroid hormones, proteins and fats. It has an influence on the body’s growth ability and metabolic rate (weight management). It’s best friend is the adrenals, as they work together to generate physical, mental and emotional energy, assist in weight management, regulates sleep, and many other functions. In natural health, the thyroid has been referred to as the “third ovary”, as there is a connection between thyroid function and ovarian function. A March-April 2011 study showed “Severe longstanding hypothyroidism leads to increased ovarian volume and/or cyst formation.” (source).
Thyroid Imbalances – red light
If you research the thyroid gland, and common thyroid issues, you will find thousands of articles and studies. Some of the most prominent imbalances I see on a daily basis with my clients are:
- excessive weight gain or loss
- hair falling out (alopecia)
- thinning eyebrows
- fatigue and tired all of the time
- sluggish thinking
- not speaking up for self and honoring your boundaries
- suppressing self-love and self-worth
Culprits that contribute to poor thyroid health:
- wearing synthetic perfumes and colognes
- adrenal exhaustion &burning the candle at both ends
- regular alcohol consumption (more than 3 shot glass amounts)
- autoimmune conditions
- heavy metal toxicity
Thyroid Warning Signs – yellow light
What are the warning signs, or smoke signals your body sends you when the thyroid is unhappy, deprived of proper nutrients and overworked? For me, I notice that I have a harder time sustaining energy for an extended period of time. Sometimes it is a gradual thing, so I am not as quick to pay attention. Other times, I notice that by noon, my steam has run out. My hair, nails and skin seem to be more thin and brittle. Mood is affected, making me either more gloomy or anxious. I am not able to solve problems as quickly as I like, nor think situations through with ease and clarity. My thoughts become more muffled, confused and lethargic. All signs that thyroid is not running with a full tank of gas.
Thyroid Supporters – green light
I have several thyroid supporting herbs in my daily arsenal to nourish, feed and rejuvenate my thyroid and adrenals.
- Greens and Algae: Kelp and spirulina for pH maintenance, minerals and nourishment
- Minerals: alfalfa, chlorophyll, nettle, mulberry, spinach, black walnut hulls
- Essential Fatty Acids: I like plant based ones that offer omega 3, 6, 7 and 9, along with fat emulsifier to help me break it down and absorb it better
- Enzymes: to break down food – carbs, proteins, sugars and fats
- Protein: I like a plant-based protein like pea protein, since it s easy to digest.
- Aromatherapy: inhaling certain scents can help with thyroid function regulation
- Balance and support: myrtle, melissa, palmarosa
- Speaking up for your self, standing in your power – myrrh, orange, lemon
- Grounded: pine, fir, spruce, sandalwood
Thyroid Support Recipe
2 ounces of distilled water or liquid plant enzymes
7 drops Green Myrtle (Myrtus communis)
4 drops Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
5 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis)
3 drops Himalayan Fir (Abies spectabilis)
2 drops Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii var. motia)
Mix ingredients together in a bottle, shake well, and label. Use 2-4 times daily to nourish normal thyroid function.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.