What happens in Vagus, shouldn’t stay in Vagus. The vagus nerve is often overlooked when it comes to balancing our mind, emotions and physical issues. However, it is a key catalyst in how our entire mind & body works, communicates and heals itself.
When the vagus nerve gets stuck…
- the wrong messages get sent (if they get sent) between the gut and the brain
- the wrong amounts of neurotransmitters & hormones are delivered
- thoughts get stuck on the merry go round
- emotions get heated &start consuming us
- pain levels increase
- we have a harder time concentrating, focusing & making decisions
The list goes on and on. But instead of focusing on all that is imbalanced, let’s focus on how we can support the vagus nerve to brain everything, no matter what it is, back into balance. We have to help our mind & body shift & pivot to manage stress, anxiety, depression, feeling overwhelmed & just being exhausted.
The vagus nerve is the 10th cranial nerve. It connects the gut brain to the head brain. As you can tell, it plays a very important role in helping mind & body alignment so you feel better, thing clearer, make better decisions, and can achieve your goals.
How do we do that?
Here are 6 helpful strategies to get you started and keep you going to release the vagus clutter.
- Deep breathing exercising! The power of breathing to instigate and activate circulation which helps move congestion out.
- Aromatherapy – smelling essential oil scents, whether a single oil or a blend can activate the mind to communicate more effectively & efficiently. It helps you tap into your authentic intuition and heart center to bring balance to your passion & purpose.
- Nutrient dense foods that provide protein & good essential fatty acids (EFA’s). Food nourishes the body. When the body is nourished, it can function better. When it functions better, toxins can be pushed out to allow room for more, better nutrient absorption.
- Adaptogenic based herbal supplements! Adaptogens have a built-in navigation system to know exactly where to go, whether to energize or relax, and to bring disharmonies into balance…all at the same time. This is a true mind-body support and a best friend to the vagus nerve.
- Rest. Allowing yourself adequate for rest will help the body & mind restore, rejuvenate and refuel. Schedule time for rest throughout the day. Rest meaning you walk away from overstimulation of the mind (thinking too hard, lol) and physical exertion, to allow your body just to be, even for 5 minutes. I know in the middle of the day if I am confronted with a stressful situation, i go for a 5-10 minute walk. When I come back to the situation, I have a clear mind, refreshed heart and connected intuition. This is where I make better decisions, and can respond in a healthy way, rather than be overreactive.
- Self-Care Therapies such as massage therapy, craniosacral, acupuncture, chiropractic and reiki.
Half the battle with any health plan, is how to get started & what to start with. The other half is implementing consistent habits so you maintain results.
Aromatherapy is a huge part of strengthening your mindset to create a plan, stick with it, and be consistent in your actions.
Here are our top aromatherapy blends to help you.