When you ask someone about their liver, most will say, yes, it’s in there. Well, what does it do? A lot! To be more specific, it plays a huge role in detoxifying the body. It has over 500 functions and 11 detoxification pathways (5 in Phase 1 and 6 in Phase 2) to get the junk out and aid in immunity and digestion.
Where is my liver?
The liver is located to the right of the stomach, behind the ribcage, and below the diaphragm. I call this the “everything organ”. Helping with digestion, absorption, food processing, bile secretion, and blood filtering, you can see its importance in the gastrointestinal tract.
What Is My Liver Doing?
The liver facilitates detoxification, serving as a neutralizer and filter to break down toxins into smaller components so other eliminative organs such as the colon, respiratory and kidneys can eliminate it out. In addition to detoxification, its other responsibilities include hormone production, remove any red blood cells that become damaged (along with the spleen), glycogen, energy and vitamin storage, lipid metabolism (cholesterol, triglycerides.), and immune defender just to name a few.
What Is My Liver Saying?
Emotionally, the liver is the organ of anger and action. Action meaning it can help your response or reaction. A healthy, balanced liver can help you manage and maintain your emotions in a harmonious, even and fluent manner. When it is deficient, cold or lethargic, you may experience depression, sadness and loneliness. This is because the liver has taken a beating and is so suppressed, or malnourished that it does not have the tools to keep up with the demands. When it is in an excessive, exploding or hot state, you have anger, frustration, aggravation, and short tempers. You react impulsively rather than response wisely. this indicates it is being bombarded now and overwhelmed by the incoming stimuli.
If your sleep is disrupted and you wake up between 1:00am and 3:00am, this is the “liver time” of the circadian rhythm maintenance clock. This indicates your liver is not happy and needs some special attention to help it get balanced.
How Is My Liver Feeling?
Have you checked your liver today? How is it feeling? Here are some quick liver assessment questions to help you connect with your liver today –
- Do you feel energized or lethargic?
- Do you feel strong or weak – physically, mentally and/or emotionally?
- Do you feel balanced or have some nausea?
- Are you even kilned or angered and frustrated?
- Do you have patience?
- Are you depressed, sad or lonely?
- Are you having normal bowel movements every day, or are you constipated or have diarrhea?
- Are you experiencing any pain on your right abdominal area?
- Do you wake up between 1:00am and 3:00am?
A hot or angered liver will need cooling remedies such as essential oils of grapefruit, lavender, lemon and peppermint. These all are cholagogues, meaning they promote the liver to detoxify by aiding in elimination of bile from gall bladder and bile ducts. A cool or lethargic liver will need heating remedies to create movement of stuck pathways. These essential oils include oregano, rosemary and thyme.
Essential Oils that are liver helpers:
- Fruits: Orange (Citrus sinensis) and Lemon (Citrus limonum)
- Flowers: Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), Rose (Rosa damascena)
- Herbaceous & Camphoraceous: Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Peppermint (Mentha x piperita), Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Sage (Salvia officinalis)
- Contentment Roll-on: combination of anti-inflammatory oils that soothe, nourish and support liver function (roll on over the liver region three times daily)
Herbals that are liver helpers:
- Barberry – astringent to tighten and tone integrity of liver
- Dandelion – detoxifier, mineral, liver nourisher
- Ginger – nausea from over toxic liver
- Milk thistle – liver protector and detoxifier
- Red beet root – liver decongestant
- Yellow dock – liver tonic, stringent
- Amitox – to clear all eliminative channels that support the liver
- Solleflex PI – anti-inflammatory herbs that also strengthen liver function
Liver Supporting Rub Recipe – this is formulated to offer liver adaptogenic properties
Add the carriers to a jar and mix well. Follow by adding in the essential oils and stir into mixture, until all blended. Write down your recipe (make correction if an extra drop of something goes in) and label. Use at least twice daily and as needed to show your liver some love.
JennScents Aromaversity® Anatomy & Physiology I Course – copyrighted material
Biochemical Blood Analysis, Dr. Kimberly Balas
Want someone to help you identify where you are stuck and why, and create an action plan to get you moving?
Want to create movement in your life, health & business that builds momentum so you can achieve your goals & dreams?
Want a tried-and-true system that guides you in taking steps, so you don’t have to figure it out on your own?
I’ve got you.
Check out my Design, Align & Shine Coaching Program that helps you uncover hidden or stuck mindset blocks to unleash your inner fire. When you are connected to your purpose and passion, everything is possible. You just need the desire, a system, guide and tools to get you there.
Get registered for my Design, Align & Shine Program. Your time is NOW!