Why buried emotions keep coming up
Why do the same emotions keep coming up over and over, especially when I am detoxing? When you understand how the body works when you smell certain essential oils, take specific herbs, or are doing a whole-body cleanse or detox, it all makes sense. Once you start moving out old emotions you buried long ago, you really can’t stuff them back into your box. You need to continue excavating them so you can release them. This is a huge component to weight loss, weight gain, or maintain your weight…address the emotional weight.
This process is a great example of the power of movement. The food you eat, exercises you do, herbs & aromatherapy you use, all create movement – physically, mentally, emotionally, energetically, and spiritually.
Anytime you have movement within the body, it will always instigate movement outward. Meaning, if you move your body, lymph, and blood, your emotions, thoughts, and feelings will automatically move too. This happens often when you are cleansing or detoxing, eating a certain diet, fasting, and/or when using essential oils. Their job is to supply nutrient to get in, while helping the “trash” get out. Unhealthy and negative emotions and thoughts are part of the trash needed to be excavated.
The reason? When you have emotions, feelings, and thoughts that you suppress, they get buried in an organ, tissue, and cells. They hibernate there if not released and embed themself in those areas. The various emotions stored in these organs can wreak havoc on your overall health.
Fear is stored in the kidneys.
Anger is stored in the liver.
Grief is stored in the lungs.
Worry is stored in the gut.
Joy or loss of joy is stored in the pancreas.
Now you can see how certain ailments are related to certain emotions, and vice versa.
When you create movement, the body starts to circulate via blood and lymph. These fluid systems are the transportation highway for emotions to get to and from a location. When these fluid systems start moving, it can uncover what I call “hidden gems” or “buried treasure”, aka buried emotions. The strength of that flow tries to bring them up so you can recognize, identify, accept, forgive and ultimately, release them.
As you can imagine, this process is a huge part of weight management, whether you are maintaining, losing, or gaining weight. Emotional weight is included as you need to release the unwanted weight of the physical, mental, emotional, energetic, and spiritual burdens.
Now, when you stir up the buried thoughts, and emotions, you may revisit an experience, feelings, or situation that you buried long ago. This is the hidden gem I was telling you about. It was hiding under a rock, and now it’s been exposed. The good news is that it can now be released. The challenge is that you have to let it be released.
Once you start the movement and it activates the release of buried emotions, you really don’t want to stop it. They are happy to be released and don’t want to get stuffed back into the box. So, they will fight you, meaning you will have those thoughts and emotions going round and round in your head all day. You may try to stop it and push it back in, then a few minutes later, you find yourself having those thoughts, causing a mental conversation in your head. It will keep distracting you, stopping your forward momentum, and interfering with just about everything you do.
If you find yourself saying you don’t have time to deal with it right now. Is that true? You don’t? Because if you add up the number of times it keeps interrupting you and wasting your time, I bet you will find the time. What is this merry go round of unhealth buried thoughts costing you? Stress, time, money, and most importantly, joy.
If you don’t deal with it and keep bury it, those emotions get more frustrated and confused. As they keep coming up, you continue pushing back it back in, like tug of war. They will just idle there, always in background (or on your shoulder). This will affect your energy, behavior, responses, and reactions.
The great thing about aromatherapy, is that the essential oils will never let you lie to yourself. They will keep honest and authentic with who you are, and who you are meant to be. They can see your potential, even if you can’t. They are always working towards creating balance for the mind and body.
When you couple that with herbs that are doing the same to balance your body, they work in tandem to release imbalances. They just go after the buried treasure from different angles, like wiggling it out to it can be released. Cool, huh? Their overall goal is to create harmony, homeostasis, and balance on all levels.
So, the point? You can keep pushing them in. However, these emotions will always be sitting there, popping up, every day, all day. You can draw it out by playing the game of pushing them in, but it comes back out eventually. Either through an emotional release of a physical health ailment.
If you are ready to stop the emotional rollercoaster and let your brilliant self shine through, it’s time to address it, head on. Of course this is my preference.
To do this, you have 1 of 3 methods you can use.
- 1 single essential oil support – Find a single essential oil like eucalyptus, lemon, patchouli or rosemary. You will smell this same essential oil all day (every 2-4 hours) to give you subtle, yet nurturing support to keep moving, keep connecting, and keep releasing the buried emotions.
- Eucalyptus helps when you feel overwhelmed
- Lemon helps when you feel lost and can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel
- Patchouli helps you let go when you are clinging on and being over-controlling
- Rosemary helps you create action steps and move
- 1 essential oil blend support – If you are drawn to a certain blend of essential oils, like a Calm or Clarify blend, use that instead of a single essential oil. The synergy of this combination can provide support from different directions or various angles to help you “massage” that buried emotion out.
- 4 essential oil rotation – This can be 4 different single essential oils, or blends. I use 4 because they provide directions of health support. My four blends are Clarify, Calm, Lift, and Balance. These represent the 4 areas needed to create balance, so good thoughts can get in, and bad ones can get out.
- Clarify: this one has lemongrass, spearmint, black pepper, sweet basil, rosemary and more to help me have a clear vision or clear my path so I can see where I need or want to go.
- Calm: this one has chamomile, patchouli, petitgrain, blue cypress, yuzu and more to help calm nerves, anxiety, and anticipation of what’s to come. When your nerves are calm, you can take a step forward on that clear path you just created.
- Lift: this one has cinnamon, 3 fruit oils, and ravintsara to ignite my inner fire, passion, and drive. Once I am clear where I want to go, and the nerves are calm, I can light my fire and get excited about moving forward. Not to mention I feel stronger about moving forward than wanting to stay back and procrastinate.
- Balance: this has lavender, geranium, frankincense, palmarosa and more to help me feel stable and solid as I move forward. This helps me feel ready to release those hidden burdens, and not stuff them back in.
As you go through this process, journal about the feelings, emotions, and thoughts that come up. Write them down. Allow them. Answer these questions –
- How do you feel?
- Where do you feel it? In your throat, stomach, back, etc.?
- What people, places, and things that come up? These are all here for you to identify and accept them, make peace with to foster forgiveness, and release them.
Eat foods that nourish and nurture your mind and body. Limit foods that congest the body, which will hinder the release of the buried emotions. This would include sugar, flour, breads, pastas, and dairy.
Get some rest and at least 6-8 hours of good sleep. The goal it to nourish your beta state (alert, creative), and naturally allow your alpha state (rest & relaxation) to happen at the end of your day, so you can enjoy your theta state (dream), and delta state (intuition).
Beneficial herbal support includes minerals, enzymes, essential fatty acids, probiotics, and adaptogens.
Keep a routine of when you are smelling your oils and really paying attention to yourself. Schedule in self-care time.
Say your affirmations and prayers when you smell the essential oils.
If you have thoughts, feelings, and emotions that come up that you need help navigating or working through, it is best to work with a trained Clinical Aromatherapist who can help make the journey more understandable, meaningful, and impactful.
There are 3 strategic ways to support your body while you are releasing these buried emotions that make it easier to handle. Listen in as Jennifer talks more in-depth about this process.