The Power of Medicinal Mushroom
First, let me say that medicinal mushrooms are not the same as the button mushrooms in the produce aisle of the grocery store. Or the ones growing in the cow pastures near your house. Quality is important.
Medicinal mushrooms have been used for centuries for a variety of health issues including boosting immunity, strengthening the brain and balancing blood sugar. More recent evidence based science confirms and expands on the health benefits these medicinal mushrooms can offer us. Taken before bed, they have been shown to enhance a restful sleep. In physical, mental and emotional tasks, it has been shown to enhance overall endurance, stamina, resilience and motivation. For me, it has been life-changing. Since taking a medicinal mushroom formula daily for the past few months, my brain is more focused, clear, precise and efficient. My memory, mood, motivation, vitality and contentment during the day is so much better. Mentally, it has helped me overcome some depressive thoughts, and given me the ability to manage myself through some difficult situations. As a caretaker, business entrepreneur, motivational speaker and educator, it is important for my mind and brain to be on top of its game, as much as possible. I’ve lived a pretty healthy life over the past 20 years, but I have to say, these medicinal mushroom blend is amazing!
Historical Health Benefits
Hippocrates recommended medicinal mushrooms for its anti-inflammatory properties, as well as its wound healing abilities. Traditional Chinese Medicine employs medicinal mushrooms in countless formulas for not only physical health, but mental health as well. Cordyceps is popularly used to strengthen the respiratory tract in athletes, as well as boots stamina, endurance and performance. Think about that for mental health. It can help to withstand and endure stressful situations, emotional challenges and prolonged chronic events. In Ayurveda, medicinal mushrooms have been used to support immune function and nourish the doshas. It strengthens core processes while helping the body and mind defend against invasion of bacteria, virus and germs.
10 Medicinal Mushrooms with Evidence-Based Support
- Lion’s Mane, Hericium erinaceus: shown to improve cognitive impairment, nerve growth factor, and shown to possess anti-cancerous, anti-diabetic, cardioprotective, hepatoprotective, nephroprotective, neuroprotective and gastroprotective properties (source, source, source).
- Agaricus, Agaricus blazei: First discovered in Brazil. This has many benefits of the blood – blood circulation, heart health, blood sugar, liver and cholesterol. Emotionally, we know matters of the heart pertain to love, joy, jealousy and rejection. Thus, it can help restore love of self, love of others and love with others on an emotional level. It is also an immunomodulator, hepatoprotective, cardioprotective, gastroprotective and antioxidant (source, source, source).
- Chaga, Inonotus obliquus: Known for its immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic properties. Studies show it also possesses gastroprotective, nephroprotective, anti-tumorous and neurological supporting properties, too (source, source, source).
- Cordyceps, Ophiocordyceps sinensis: One of my personal favorites for respiratory support. Its popular reputation is associated with the performance, endurance and stamina for athletes. It also has been shown to improve cardiovascular, immune, cognitive and libido functions, as well as diabetic neuropathy (source, source).
- Maitake, Grifola frondosa: Known for its strong beta glucan content, it lends immunomodulatory, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal (yeast, candida), hepatoprotective, anti-diabetic and anti-tumor and anti-atherosclerosis properties (source, source, source, source).
- Mesima, Phellinus linteus: It possesses many powerful properties such as anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, antioxidant, anti-allergenic, antimicrobial, hepatoprotective, neuroprotective, cardioprotective and anti-cancerous (source, source).
- Reishi, Ganoderma lucidum: A strong immunomodulator, it enhances gut-brain functions by strengthening neurotransmitters to get where they need to go, intact and efficiently. It is also antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumorous, hepatoprotective, gastroprotective and enhanced flexibility and mobility with autoimmune issues (source, source, source, source).
- Shitake, Lentinula edodes: Strong antioxidant properties with much research proving its anti-cancerous, anti-tumerous, antihypertensive, immunomodulatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antidiabetic and anti-atherosclerotic properties (source, source, source).
- Tremella, Tremella fuciformis: Known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant power. Studies also show its benefits for cognitive functions such as memory enhancement and decision making, dementia, diabetes, immunomodulatory and nerve damage (source, source, source).
- Turkey’s Tale, Trametes versicolor: A powerful antioxidant, this mushroom has many studies demonstrating its anti-cancerous properties, as well as neuroprotective, gastro-supportive, hepatoprotective, anti-diabetic and anti-neurodegenerative (source, source, source). Use in Traditional Chinese Medicine to replenish the vital chi (source).
Top 12 Reasons for Using a Medicinal Mushroom Herbal Blend
- Brain & Cognitive Strength and Health
- Immunity as they are immunomodulators – antimicrobial, antiviral
- Gut Health – gastroprotective especially with ulcers (source)
- Neurological Support and nerve protection
- Energy, Stamina & Endurance
- Respiratory Support
- Liver Support – hepatoprotective
- Blood sugar
- Urinary System Support – strengthens function
- Anti-cancer properties
My favorite blend of medicinal mushrooms has strict quality controls and manufacturing practices – NeuroIM.
My top 5 ways to use NeuroIM:
- Daily capsules as recommended
- Make an herbal tea – add honey for taste if you need
- Tooth powder – brush your teeth to strengthen gums and enamel
- Add to some coconut oil and use as a mouth rinse
- Sitz bath to calm a urinary tract issues
Want someone to help you identify where you are stuck and why with your health?
Need an action plan with herbs, aromatherapy & health tools to get you moving?
Want to create the best health possible so you can achieve your goals & dreams with quality in life?
I’ve got you.
Check out my private Health Coaching Program that helps you uncover hidden or stuck mindset blocks to unleash your inner fire.
When you are connected to your purpose and passion, everything is possible.
You just need the desire, a system, guide and tools to get you there.
Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.
References: This blog contains excerpts from JennScents Aromaversity Certification Courses, the JennScents Holistic Aromatherapy Comprehensive Guide and 10 Medicinal Mushrooms by Dr. Alison Caldwell-Andrews.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.