Aromatherapy trends have changed over the years. Essential oils and the practice of aromatherapy are certainly more of a household name today, than it was, say, ten years ago. I remember when I first started my aromatherapy business almost 20 years ago, that there was still a learning curve of what aromatherapy was, how it works, and why it helps with so many health ailments. There was not as much evidence based research as there is today. You used to have to read the actual medical and holistic health journals to get the information that is not at our fingertips through several research websites including the National Library of Medicine.
As you can imagine, the number of aromatherapy business have exploded over the last five years. I attribute this enormous growth to several factors including a more natural-health minded generation, increased science and research that is readily available, increase in environmentally-conscious consumers, and an increase in entrepreneurial-spirited product distributors for multi-level marketing companies. No matter what your first introduction to aromatherapy was, I bet you love aromatherapy products adn prefer them to non-aromatherapy based products. Am I right?
Top Trends of 2020
Looking into the promise of what 2020 can bring to the consumer, and thriving aromatherapy businesses, let’s talk about the hot trends you will most likely see. Here are my top 8 predicted trends.
- Increase in mental health focused consumers, wanting aromatherapy that doesn’t only smell good, but balances a mental health imbalance as well as provides a positive affirmation. Remember, your mind, body, cells, tissues and organs believe everything you tell it. When you say the name of a product, it can cause an internal energetic effect such as being positive, happy, relaxed or anxious. Wouldn’t you rather use a product labeled Confidence or Calm? Even if you say the name quietly, or in your head voice, your body connects with that. Don’t believe me, go check out the work that Dr. Emoto did on the power of words and sounds on water (fluid) crystals.
- Aromatherapy pre-made grab-n-go roll-on blends. Those who use essential oils, love aromatherapy. However, time and knowledge constraints hold many consumers back from making those DIY recipes they save to their Pinterest board. They want it made up for them, a concierge service that saves them time from making it, but also money from buying every single ingredient.
- Education, or Scentucation as I call it. More people want to be educated about aromatherapy so they can make their own educated decisions about what is right for their health and their families. I used to hear, “just tell me what to do” from my clients years ago. But now, I have more clients adn inquiries about “how can I get educated myself about essential oils? I want to be in control of my own decisions.”
- Customized and personalized aromatherapy blends. It is nice having an aromatherapy product that is already made up. But more people are realizing, it would be better if they had a custom blend, made specific to who they are and what they need to get through a situation or time during their life. This is the premise of how I started my business. A custom blending bar where clients could stop by, smell some scents and I’d formulate and create a special blend, just for them while they waited. On top of that, if you are a skilled aromatherapist, and have training in scenterpretation, you can add an extra benefit of interpreting the scents the client liked and disliked. This helps the client connect on a deeper level, understanding why they are reacting and responding the way they are to a certain situation. It can also give insight to their “inside voice” that’s telling them what their heart (feeling) and gut (intuition) already know. Have you ever said, “I knew that was going to happen?”, or “I should have trusted my gut?” When you ignore that inside voice, there is a reason. Scents will never let your body lie to itself. This is why they are so important for mind and body health. The connect and align your head, heart and gut so that you make clearer, better decisions, and experience more joy and contentment in life, rather than being consumed by stress adn worry.
- Aromatherapy Diffusers. These are all the rage right now. There are so many kinds and designs of diffusers. I actually have a client who has 7 diffusers. She uses the one that matches her mood when she takes her aromatic bath. The way a diffuser looks can affect he way you feel. A wood diffuser may give the sense of a zen or grounding feeling. A bright colored one can lift your mood and provoke creativity. A marble-like or modern look can encourage contentment and stimulate intellect. There are newer aromatherapy diffusers in the marketplace that allow to you place several bottles in a holding vessel. The diffuser can then let those essential oils drop into the diffuser, so they all diffuse at the same time. Technology, right?
- Aromatherapy is more widely accepted today in medical facilities. In 2020, we will see an even bigger acceptance not only in end-of-life care, but also in general care such as doctors offices and hospitals. There will be more grants and in-hospital care research conducted to show the efficacy not only with patients, but with nurses and doctors (with varying schedules). It will become an integrative practice, similar to European medicine.
- Increased awareness and use of Olfactory Stimulation to help with cognitive and neurological disorders.
- Olfactory Sensory Programs a staple in PTSD treatments, and veteran care.
Jennifer Pressimone is a world-renowned aromatherapist, herbalist, author and public speaker. She is the owner of JennScents, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity. Jennifer is prized for her master formulating and custom blending gifts, as well as her teaching style. She shares natural health information in a fun, effective and life-enhancing way. Those who have studied with her, or are her clients, say that she is a true gem, teaching from the heart, sharing unconditionally and making it meaningful. You can learn more here about how you can study personally with and be mentored by Jennifer. Thank you for visiting our blog.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.