Essential Oils to Help with Weight Loss
Many people think that smelling an essential oil or blend a few times a week will help them lose weight. Well, I’ve got some bad news…it doesn’t. It may help calm your stress level, an emotion, or even instigate lymphatic movement. However, without two specific actions, you won’t see much results.
Then how does it work? What is the big secret?
There’s actually TWO secrets.
Rotating scents and blends that you smell periodically can help keep the lymphatic and circulatory systems moving. When things are moving, they are not stuck. When things are stuck, it builds up creating a “pool” of toxins that adds weight (and size). Think of a balloon filled up with water. When you hold onto the end of the balloon, the water builds up and it gets fatter. When you drain or release the water, it goes thinner. Same thought process if you not releasing toxins.
When you rotate scents, you can do it 3 different ways (pick the one that you will actually do and stick with).
- Smell an energizing blend in the morning & a relaxing blend in the evening
- Smell a single citrus, minty or camphorous oil in the morning (like lemon, or peppermint, or eucalyptus) and a flower or woodsy oil in the evening (like chamomile or pine)
- Smell the same custom blend morning and evening for 60 days, then make a new custom blend
The second part is that you need to be CONSISTENT! Smell the blends or single essential oil 2-3 times a day at the same time, every day. The body works on a clock. It likes rhythm, routine and consistency. Small, repeated amounts of support, just like eating breakfast, lunch and dinner (even adding in snacks, or a few extra whiffs in between).
Essential oil & Aromatherapy Practice Benefits
So now that you have your plan of action, it’s time to get a blend or oil that will work for you. To do that, you need to match it up to your needs and benefits you want.
Aromatherapy practices involve smelling a pure scent to shift, inspire, motivate, nurture and encourage a shift in the mind and body. It promotes movement physically, psychologically, biochemically, and energetically.
- balances, supports, calms or activates metabolism
- strengthens glandular functions which are closely related to weight management that includes thyroid, adrenal, hormone and blood sugar functions
- calms certain food cravings & emotional eating
- liver, gallbladder & lymphatic congestion – if you don’t have a gallbladder, your body has a harder time breaking down fats which means it gets stored more often leading to weight gain
- mental & emotional support
Culprits to Weight Gain
There is not just one organ responsible for weight management. All organs have work together to create a unified flow, just like an engine in a car. When one process or organ is not working right, it can throw off everything, even in the slightest way.
- poor diet: high sugar & low protein and good fats
- inadequate sleep: not getting enough sleep disrupts the circadian rhythm, metabolism & maintenance on your detoxification organs making them more sluggish and tired
- hormone imbalances
- immobility leading to sedentary lifestyle
- unhealthy lifestyle choices such as drinking alcohol (sugar), smoking, etc.
- chronic inflammation
Antidiabetic & weight management carriers include –
Essential Oils to Help with Weight Loss
- Spices: Cinnamon & Cardamom helps with calm cravings & emotional eating habits (source)
- Cinnamon is great to balance blood sugar, calm emotional eating and help you feel satiated, brings comfort when emotionally eating.
- Citrus: Pink Grapefruit & Lemon help activate and metabolism while moving stuck emotions& lymph
- Yuzu: shown to have a hypo-cholesterolemic effect aiding in weight reduction, fat metabolism, glucose metabolism & diabetes (source)
- If you or your client does not have a gallbladder, and you are making a weight management blend, be sure to add in at least 1 gallbladder supporting essential oil such as grapefruit, lemon or cypress.
- Bergamot is great to curb cravings (especially for sweets), for eating disorders, addictions and anxiety-eaters.
- Flowers: balances metabolism and emotions contributing to weight gain
- Chamomile calms emotional eating linked with anger
- Lavender calms emotional eating linked to feeling overwhelmed & unworthy
- Geranium is linked to emotional eating around the menses or hormonal issues
- Mints: Peppermint & Spearmint aid in digestion of foods and excess fat stored causing weight gain
- Herbals: Rosemary & Thyme stimulate circulation and metabolism movement (when it is slow)
- Oregano is good to smell when your boundaries feel invaded, and you don’t feel strong enough to defend yourself
- Patchouli stimulates lymphatic movement to help you release physical & emotional weight you are holding onto. Also helps you combat feeling out of control.
- Trees: Myrtle & Pine helps support metabolism functions, as well as emotional eating linked to grief and feelings of guilt
Application Methods & Instructions
- Diffusers: smell your blend in a diffuser for 30 minutes, twice a day
- Nasal Atomizers: Smell every 2 hours to keep your body in rhythm & combat the rollercoaster of highs & lows
- Roll-ons: Apply to temples, neck, wrists and over abdomen 3 times a day
Sprays: These are helpful to use as a body, room, and/or linen or sleep spray that gives you both inhalation with more staying power than a diffuser. Spray above head and let the mist “rain” on you as you take 3-6 deep breaths. Use at least 3 times a day, more if you’d like, to help support your mindset & emotional balance.
Want to feel more confident in using essential oils safely to take care your family & others?
Looking to expand your knowledge and skills using essential oils?
Want to add aromatherapy to your client services to enrich your niche?
Or start a new career path in aromatherapy?
Glad you are here.
The JennScents Aromaversity has 3 training programs to meet you where you are, and help you grow to where you want to be.
When you are connected to your passion and lead with purpose, everything is possible.
You just need the right education, mentor, and tools to get you there.
Come see us at the Aromaversity to see how we can make your dreams come true, doing something you love.
Article References: JennScents Holistic Comprehensive Guide, JennScents Aromaversity Classes, JennScents E-books and Reference Material
Author: Jennifer Pressimone, Entrepreneur, Formulator, Author
Jennifer Pressimone is an aromatherapy entrepreneur (an Aromapreneur™). She is the founder and President of JennScents®, Inc. and the JennScents Aromaversity®. She is the Vice-President and Regional Florida Director of Central Florida for the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). Jennifer has build, managed and maintained several health and wellness businesses over the last 20 years. She is an incredibly gifted essential oil formulator, aromatherapy educator, public speaker, herbalist, author and philanthropist. She leads with passion, experience and heart to inspire, empower and motivate others to not only follow their dreams, but crush it, realizing more than they ever imagined possible. Jennifer is a life coach and business mentor. She received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida, and has thousands of hours in continuing education in many health and wellness topics. Her specialties include mind-body health, gastrointestinal health and cognitive aromatherapy for humans and pets.
Disclaimers: Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. It is recommended that if serious health issues exist, you consult a licensed medical provider. JennScents does not assume liability or responsibility for the use and/or misuse of this information.